Sunday, 26 June 2011

- Day One .

Lots of information came flying at us as soon as we arrived.
THE ROOMMATE(S?) :
Room 2624 , which you’d assume would be on level two? Nope , I got on the elevator , there’s no level two. It’s considered “M”, even though the main floor is on level one ? My roommate , Kristina from Macedonia , had arrived 3 hours earlier , unpacked , napped , showered , and eaten by the time I got there. I’m pretty sure she enjoyed having the room to herself because she seemed pretty unpleased when I walked in at 6:30pm . Apparently we’re supposed to have another girl with us from South Africa or something , but she may show up tomorrow cause she never turned up today.
THE FRIENDS :
Becca and Claire are two girls who live in Calgary as well, and so I stuck with them a lot of the time tonight . Claire is in my “country group” of India as well, so that’s nice. I met her at the airport before we even got here, so it was nice to know both of them by the time I got to the hotel. I also met a girl named Kim from Germany at the airport, and she’s a huge sweetheart .There’s also a kid from the US named Nic who’s pretty cool too , he’s in India with Claire and I .
THE INTIMIDATING:
There’s a group of 15 Australian kids who came from the same school in Sydney and they’re all friends so that’s a little intimidating figuring they’re all poised with their dainty little accents and their perfect little bodies, but a couple of them have come up to me and they seem pretty down-to-earth , thankfully. Apparently the customs guy made fun of one of the Australian girls, Abby, for flying 24 hours for a 12-day conference. He saw it as ridiculous apparently, haha . There’s a kid in my India group who attends a performing arts school in Australia, so I’m excited to get the chance to talk to him a little more about that. I’m curious what form of the arts he attends it for .
THE COUNTRY GROUP:
I’m hoping my country group loosens up a little, they’re so quiet , and I already have been the “awkward spotlight” too many times! I went to the bathroom at the start of country group meetings , and Claire didn’t save me a chair , so I walk in and its dead silent , and there’s no spots left and everyone is just staring at me for a good 30 seconds before Kimberly , our leader , came in and realized I needed a chair . My face was probably bright red , ‘cause you could probably have heard a pin drop and everyone was just staring. At least the Australian girls told me I looked good ?
TOMORROW:
Lunch at Georgetown , Presidents Memorials (Roosevelt, Jefferson)

1 comment:

  1. Have a great sleep, enjoy the "professional attire" and I can't wait to hear about the trails and trials tomorrow.

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete