POLITICAL:
The start of the day was incredibly interesting . We went to the world bank and heard from a phenomenal speaker, Ms. Angelica Silvero, who is the head of the speakers bureau. She had an amazing presentation of visuals , including a video to aid in 3 of the major millennium goals, decreasing maternal deaths during childbirth, decreasing infant death rates, as well as raising gender equality. From every standpoint possible, this campaign is fantastic.
Later, we had lunch in union station which was fun. Shopping, food, crazy antics.
After lunch we proceeded back to the hotel to hear another speaker though it wasn’t quite a “presentation” rather a town hall simulation. I chose to attend the “Feeding the World” presentation by Abby Flottemesh who is a development consultant for ICDF. It was interesting because we created more of a discussion between the scholars while being lead by the speaker, rather than just sitting and listening to a speaker. We discussed the problems with malnutrition and lack of food and we concentrated the issues down to 3 problems: distribution, production, and education. I didn’t understand the people who were debating counter-education, because if you simply educate the mass populations, that can created solutions for distribution, production, and create a long-term self-sustainable plan . I fought hard for that one, thank goodness it paid off . World hunger , solved.
In the evening, we had our politics of trade simulation concerning Boeing and Airbus airline controversy. I was representing the governor of Washington, fighting for allowance of subsidies to increase our economy. After the debate, the WTO left to discuss a solution when we were left to discuss a solution of our own. If we were unable to come to an agreement in 10 minutes, the WTO would return and their decision would stick. I was absolutely shocked when we were able to come to an agreement that satisfied both the European Union and The United States, and surprisingly, when the WTO returned, their solution was almost exact down to the percentage of subsidies allowed. Talk about young leaders at work, we’re solving major crisis here. Ahah
After dinner we had our evening social which was a trivia session, and it was absolutely painful. People were being awfully disrespectful, though it was our first minute to be able to sit down and talk to a friend or two in three days!
SOCIAL:
During the first speaker, Abi and I had to sit on the floor because they didn’t set up enough seats, which was horribly difficult when you’re wearing skirts and dresses, and you don’t even have something to lean your back against for an hour and a half.
At union station, I ate subway, which was pretty classic, but I was craving it INSANELY. You don’t even understand how angry I was when there was no sub-sauce. What is this country?! I helped the Norwegian girl, Emily, order her subway because she didn’t even know what half of the words meant. “Buffalo chicken” turns out to be quite the American word. After I ate, the Australians and I proceeded to grab some Haagen Daz from the food fair (which we definitely do NOT have in Canada, I wish !) and headed over to Victoria Secret. I’ve never seen so many kids so excited for something for so long! A good half hour in, they’re all still jumping at the sight of pretty panties, or a 3x pushup bra. Holly and I ended up leaving with Yale, one of the Australians, to grab a drink. On the way a local guy at the station seemed to enjoy to grab my bum as I walked onto the stairs. Horrifying!
Abi and I laughed about the Canadian accent for a good hour during the prep for the politics of trade about saying “out and about”, and “house”. So Abi, who was conveniently the head of the National Defence stands up during the simulation and says “How would you feel if you were out and about and you couldn’t be safe in your own house?!” , and everybody in the room just about died laughing. Afroza, one of the Canadians from Toronto cant even recognize our accent.
Sadly enough, I’m losing my accent and picking up on the Australian one! What else can you do when the only voices you hear for 16 hours a day are Australian! Turns out that the Australians are amazingly nice girls, and the South Africans are the only intimidating ones left.
ROOMMATES:
My second roommate showed up! Her name is Bontle, and I cant pronounce it for the life of me. Ironically, she’s from South Africa and she is the sweetest little thing. They’re not all scary ! Im glad she came because now Kristina talks as well, which is glorious. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e8xgF0JtVg
No comments:
Post a Comment