THE NIGHT :
Two hours of sleep is quite a lot of rest. Believe me, I was in the BEST mood today after sleeping . Last night, I spent the night in as little pyjamas as I could lying on my bed with no sheets , a water bottle , and my own tears . Since our glorious air conditioner is broken, our room was a good eight million degrees . It felt like I was trying to force myself to sleep in a hot yoga studio. After taking a cold shower at about one AM, I got back into bed and was still suffocating in the heat. Once it hit about 1:45 , I got into the shower AGAIN, with it on ice cold that it almost froze my skin. I lasted 50 seconds in there than ran out and hopped into bed, still wet from the shower. That had cooled me off enough to finally fall asleep at about 2:15 , to realize that breakfast was early the next morning and I had to be up by 5AM. Kill me now.
SOCIAL:
Today didn’t have too much of a political attachment aside from our Commission meetings. We got to explore NY and do so much in one day , so it was a huge event for me . We started off , bright and freaking early, on our way to Ellis Island. As I was leaving the dorms, I saw it was cloudy, decided it would pass , and I continued on to the bus in a tank top and a skirt with no umbrella. It’ll pass right ? Mmmmm , pass from cloudy skies to pouring rain. Well shit . We get off the bus and get into long processing line-ups waiting to go through security and so on, and Abi and Holly and I decide that the cute little Greek couple in front of us (still from the conference) needed some company, so we made our way under their umbrella . It was a great first introduction. Once we finally got on the fairy, it was about an hour after we’d gotten off the bus and I was just as keen for getting back on. I met up with my friend and spent all morning with them, touring Ellis Island and stuff. We found the walls where all the immigrants names were inscribed on and looked through them for our last names. I found a bunch of Walsh’s but the closest I could get to Meneghetti was Meneghezzi, which I figured was pretty close. After our half hour visit at Ellis Island (and the two hour processing and transportation process since we got off the bus) we headed back to go to Chinatown and Little Italy for lunch. Trillby, Holly, Abi and I found the funniest little Italian place in Little Italy and they were so classic NY Italian, it made me laugh so hard. They all ordered pizzas, and I ordered some chicken dish with artichokes and tomatoes and such. So their pizzas came like 10 minutes before we needed to leave for bus boarding, and I still hadn’t gotten my food. They had completely forgotten about my order so I chowed down on a slice of bread or two that they gave us when we sat down , and we left to get on the bus for BROADWAY. I cried when we drove up . And again during the show. And again laying in bed thinking about it. It was amazing . We saw Mary Poppins and I wanted that to be me sooo bad. But it was absolutely amazing . I felt as if I could die a complete person from then on. Once the production was over, we were free to explore Times Square for about two hours, including getting dinner, which I was dying for by that point. Everything was so overwhelming, I was left speechless. Holly and I split from the Australians for shopping and we did awesome by the end of it. Such a good experience all together, and we get to go back on Tuesday for 3 hours ! We came back and met with our commissions to brainstorm ideas for our proposals and made sure we fought for what we needed in our own respective countries. H1N1 and AIDS were the two biggest pandemics that we are dealing with modern day so we based a lot of our ideas off of that. By that point, I walked into our room right before the commission meeting started to grab a hoodie and drop off the dress I bought , and the air conditioner had been fixed and I began to cry . AGAIN . Not sleeping makes you too emotional. I was voted speaker for the health commission later on, even though I looked like a hot mess and had lost my voice so I sounded horrible, they seemed to want me representing. As soon as we were dismissed, I got the hell outta there and went straight back to my room. I hand washed a bunch of laundry in the sink, which was sooo necessary.
TOMORROW:
Guest speakers, Commission Meetings, BBQ cookout , Evening Social ! It’s going to be the 4th of July !
ferry is a boat, fairy is a fictional flying pixie
ReplyDelete