Friday, 1 July 2011

- Day Five .

POLITICAL:
Starting off with a later morning when breakfast started at 8. Highlight of the day right there.
After an LGM briefing on the upcoming guest speaker, we headed down to the North Ballroom to hear from a panel of speakers on Women’s Rights. Brian Dixon, vice President for Media and Government Relations with Population Canada, as well as Zainab Al-Suwaij, the executive director of American Islamic Congress, were speaking on a panel moderated by Mike Doyle with McClatchy Newspapers. After speaking about their roles in standing up for woman’s rights, the floor was open for questions. Mike Doyle, while speaking in his segment, mentioned how contraception wasn’t being used in developing countries because of lack of access and only lack of access to it… apparently. And I don’t disagree, though during the questions period I had lined up to ask him his views on how religion plays a part in that concept in particular. I don’t know every religion that exists, but I know for one that the Catholic religion bans the use of contraceptives. Because there were so many speakers to answer each question, and people felt the need to ask the same question 14 times, they ran out of allowed time before I was able to ask because the topic wasn’t addressed in either of the same, repetitive 14 questions. In one answer, Mike Doyle replied that a fetus is not a life until it breathes, and I believe that statement turned many people off of listening to him in particular. Zainab on the other hand was an absolutely amazing woman. The accomplishments in her life are incredible, including the fact that she protested against Saddam Hussein, and for that, had to flee her country where she continued to speak up for women’s rights. A truly fascinating lecture all in all.
After lunch, we returned to write our proposals and opening statements for the Peace and Security simulation. I was to be the Foreign Minister in my group of 3, taking on the speaking role of the group, to be assisted by my Ambassador, and supported by the Information attaché. The Ambassadors left to write the opening statements while the rest of us remained indoors to write our proposal. After splitting into groups to write 3 rough drafts to later combine together, we realize that my group took the completely opposite stand on what should happen to Cyprus that would best benefit India. After about 20 minutes of debating, we ran out of time, had to vote, and we were out voted by one vote, therefore, I was stuck presenting a policy I a) didn’t believe in, and b) had no idea what was going on.
When we got to our simulation rooms, the Faculty Advisor for our group asked if anybody was interested in running for President, Vice-President, or Recorder. Knowing that I love stuff like that, I set up to campaign for recorder, to keep track of time, as well as draw a map connecting similar proposals as they were presented. After a 30 minute informal debate period was over, we were called back into session where the boy voted president got too nervous and started stuttering and asked me to step in to call upon groups and regulate the formal debate and amendment period before voting. The whole simulation ran smoothly, right up until the end where the voting passed the proposal made my the United Kingdom. Upset because their proposal was overthrown, France AND China both decided to use their power of veto in the security council to automatically make the proposal not pass. It was extremely rude because they were unable to justify it.
After the simulation, we had dinner and a Collage Admissions Seminar by Derek Dubose from George Mason University. His presentation was hilarious, informative, and nice to hear from a guy who is on the other side of the applications, choosing which ones to accept.
The GYLC Olympics were that night, where Abi and I had the time of our lives. I killed it in Taboo and Cherades, and we all killed it in all other activities. India is pretty much the best.
SOCIAL:
Thank goodness we didn’t leave the hotel all day, I think it was about time we all got a break from the busses and formal clothes 24/7. We were able to change into casual wear at dinner. The Australians make me laugh more and more everyday. I love Yael to death as well and we have a little inside competition going on which makes it that much more fun. Abi today pointed out that we only have 7 more days together, than we’re gonna have to say our goodbyes and I know for a fact that its gonna make me cry. Those girls are some of the nicest, down to earth , people ive ever met. The girl from South Africa, Katie, who I just call South Africa , is hilarious. She’s such a sweetheart and its so weird to think now that I was sooo scared of her only 3 days ago. She’s really down to earth and such a sweetheart, just a little/ a lot intimidating when you don’t know her. Abi was friends with her first and when she told me she isn’t scary, I thought the Australians were all crazy. Turns out she was right? Ahah , I love the friends I’ve made so far. I had a really nice long chat with someone from Denmark , learning about their education system and country and such , which was nice. Yael was pretending she was mad because she really wanted to get to know them. I’m most likely gonna introduce them tomorrow. Amelia, (Milly) , is hilarious. Such a ganga . She’s another one of the Australians along with Evelyn, who are both awesome. Guess where Zoe is from. Australia? No way ! Ahah , she’s obsessed with squirrels because she’s never seen one in person until yesterday, and she started chasing after it with her camera because she just “wanted to be friends.” I’m honestly having such a great time, meeting so many amazing people. Its still hard to believe its even happening and I’m scared its all gonna fly by before I realize it! Abi took some ridiculous photos of me at the Olympics and I’m horrified as I begin to get tagged in these photos that the Aussies will post on face book. I’m going to look like a hot mess. Now that my hair is finally getting used to the humidity (As much as expected), its starting to curl so beautifully. The girls want to kill me every time I say I’m going to straighten my hair tomorrow , but they don’t understand that my hair can only look like that for one day! And Emily, from Norway, what a ginga ganga . =D LOVE HER .

No comments:

Post a Comment